The HSE Academic Writing Centre was founded in 2011 to meet the growing needs of our faculty for participating in the global academic community and improving the international visibility of the research and educational services provided by HSE. The Centre has become a place for diverse collaboration and consultations, as well as a resource for academic self-development.
We strive to empower HSE’s faculty and assist them in developing their academic literacy. We are committed to creating a friendly environment for communicating in English, providing professional advice and cultivating career growth.
The HSE Academic Writing Centre provides support to everyone involved in research: faculty, researchers and students who write for international publications and take part in global research conferences.
The Centre’s team provides a wide range of services, which are free of charge for HSE staff. We can do the following:
- offer specially designed courses on academic and research writing, both face-to-face and online
- conduct seminars and workshops on a wide range of topics to accommodate the demands of the HSE community
- consult on any paper (e.g., abstracts, articles, conference proposals, resumes, reports, essays, etc.)
- mentor faculty in teaching their disciplines in English
- bring together dynamic scholars from various fields and provide a place for professional communication.
As active members of the Russian Writing Centres Consortium, we develop materials, train tutors, offer courses and provide consultations.
We have introduced the following activities:
- one-on-one bilingual consultations aimed at assisting academics in improving their papers in line with international standards and genre requirements
- walk-ins and brief unscheduled consultations aimed at fixing minor language problems (Tuesdays 1.00pm-3.00pm)
- writing competitions for young researchers and students involved in research (e.g. academic essay contests, writing quizzes, blog posts, designing writing materials, guidelines for apps, etc.,).